Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Prop Hate has passed.

This is not an issue that I can "agree to disagree" on.

I am deeply saddened that what I once thought of as the great state of California - appears to have voted to write in bigoted discrimination into our state constitution.

Additionally, I have to add that I never ever would have imagined that people (friends, coworkers and acquaintances) I once respected and admired - vehemently supported this amendment. My opinions of these people have changed forever.

We as a country despise Al Queda and the Taliban for imposing their religious beliefs on their people and the world - yet we are doing the same in our own country.I understand that this is an EXTREME comparison, and we are not killing those who disagree with Christian beliefs (except for those who bomb abortion clinics...but they don't count, they are extremists) however, while the Taliban's discrimination against woman (based on their religious beliefs) is abhorred by Americans...our own (religiously based) discrimination against our gay community is acceptable.

Do any of these Pro - Prop Hate (Prop 8) folks think it would be OK if we no longer allow THEIR social security and veteran’s benefits be passed on to their spouses?How about if their inlaws didn't like them?

How would they (Prop Hate Supporters) like to be REQUIRED to hire and pay for an attorney to spell out and guarantee their right to make decisions for their incompetent or disabled husband or wife. Without it, their “inlaws” and spouses immediate family have more rights to make those decisions and could leave them out of the picture. A civil union in CALIFORNIA may offer this protection, but if the couple happens to be outside the state, these rights go away unless they hire an attorney to guarantee it. Straight couples need not spend a dime to guarantee this.

Would these Pro- Prop Hate straight married couples agree to be taxed on transfers and gifts to each other? How about inheritance? They should now be REQUIRED to hire an attorney to spell out their inheritance. Married straight couples are guaranteed to inherit their spouse’s estate without a will and are not required to spend a dime to make it happen – it’s automatic. Many CHOOSE to write wills and trusts, but their spouse gets it all if they don’t.I

I think these Pro-Pop Hate straight married couple’s inheritance passed on to their spouses should now be fully taxed at the federal level. That’s what gay couples are subject to. (Inheritance’s to spouses of straight “marriages” are not taxed at the federal level – “civil unions” are.)

While being married hasn’t helped my tax status, filing jointly CAN reduce taxes for some. Let’s just take that away from straight couples too. Gay couples cannot file federal tax returns jointly.

So DON’T tell me this isn’t discrimination. Giving straight couples specific FEDERAL benefits and denying them to gay couples is discrimination.Just pray for forgiveness and you Prop Hate Supporters will all be OK. Forget how you supposed Christian’s have judged, hurt and discriminated against so many of God’s children. He’ll forgive you. They may still be deprived of the benefits you have, but you’ll be forgiven.

And to the woman who asked me in Ralph’s if anchovies are considered shell fish, no my dear, I am pretty sure they have fins and scales, so you can eat them all you want and not go to hell. But heck, go ahead and have some shrimp..have some lobster too. If you ask, you’ll be forgiven. God's good that way.

At least we got Obama.

1 comment:

Lola said...

I too am so saddened that 2 states chose to write discrimination into their state constitutions.

I am saddened on a very personal level. My partner and I have gone the legal route and both had wills drawn up to insure that our intent is known and carried out. We've even had to have legal documents drawn up so that in case of emergency, my partner can legally sign for medical treatment for my 2 biological children. (Unfortunately we've had to test the legality of those documents, but fortunately they worked. I highly recommend any couple with children who are not married to draw up legal documents so that the other can approve medical care for the children.) Fortunately I didn't have to pay for these legal documents, because at the time the company I worked for had legal benefits. I'm sure this would have cost hundreds of dollars had I not had this benefit.

How can Prop 8 in CA and Prop 2 in FL be overturned? How can we reverse the decision in Arkansas to ban adoptions to unmarried people? There are so many special needs children, and children who are no longer cute cuddly babies that need adoption and Gay and Lesbian singles and couples are more than happy to make a family with these children. I just don't get it. That state just voted to keep these children orphans.

I was really hoping that Prop 8 and Prop 2 would not pass and gay rights would sweep the nation.

http://lolasdiner.blogspot.com/